Screenscribbler

Friday 20 January 2012

Henley's update


I now have a first draft of six chapters of Henley's Ricotta. With over 11,000 words so far and barely a quarter of the story written, I think the word count may hit novel status afterall.
There are new characters which have added to the pace and chaos that I have set out to achieve. I often think of the novels of Tom Sharpe famed for Riotous Assembly, Porterhouse Blue and the Wilt series plus many more (I've read them all) as the benchmark that I strive to aim for.


With Get Writing 2012 less than a month away, I think I have done enough to make my pitch to an agent. I need to write a synopsis, a log line and rehearse what I'm going to say. I don't think there will be anybody signed up on the strength of a very brief meeting at a conference, but it is exposure and the best I can hope for is to be given the names of some contacts that might be willing to take a look in a more conventional manner. http://www.vwc.org.uk/getwriting2012.php

2 comments:

  1. Hi John, thanks for your comment on my blog. Good luck with gathering the contacts you need next month and in creating your log line. When we began our company, we had to create an 'elevator speech' i.e. the thing you say when someone asks what your company does, or what you do. Mine was never the same twice. For all my writing abilities, precis, synopses, summaries etcetera. I could not concoct 'what I do' in one line to my own satisfaction.
    With Tom Sharpe as your benchmark, you can hardly go wrong though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deborah, I'll keep update you after the event. Just 10 days to go.

    ReplyDelete