Screenscribbler

Saturday 6 April 2013

Inspirations

Work commitments have got in the way at the moment, hence Fairfax is on the back burner, and my Bloguctivity output has taken a battering. To safeguard against the last of my creative marrow being sucked out of my bones by too much work, I have been listening to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Primary Phase, Special Edition, whilst in the bath or driving to and from work.
As a writer I know when something is inexorably good, when I find myself fighting the urge to recycle some of Douglas Adam's prose for myself. Sadly Douglas Adams died at the very young age of 49 twelve years ago. I was born the same year as Mr Adams, and know that no matter how hard I try I could never catch up with his level of comedy fiction greatness within this lifetime. But perhaps that is for the best. I need someone like him to inspire me to stretch beyond my comfortable limits.

And while I'm on the subject of inspiration, on April 20th I will be making the short trip to Hatfield to make my fourth visit to the Get Writing. This year Ann Cleeves, the writer of ITV's Vera BBC One's Shetland will be there.
I will post a full report of the event including the workshops I will be attending. If you are able to get down there, it's a great day out for around £50.00 with lunch included. There is also some 'Facetime' slots if you feel brave enough to pitch your work. Here's the link, http://vwc.org.uk/getwriting2013.php. Let me know if you're going and I'll have a coffee with you.

Any day now, I'm going to put both Henley's Ricotta and Ushabti out for free for a few days again. Watch this space and I'll let you know.



  
 

4 comments:

  1. Hey there, I think your website might be having
    browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog
    in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
    terrific blog!

    Also visit my homepage :: sian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know Anonymous (or can I call you Anon ;-)
    Not sure what Ie is, isn't that the same as Internet Explorer?

    I'll look into it some more and get back to you. Thanks for the positive feedback and I'm pleased to know that you are enjoying my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, hope the trip to Hatfield on the 20th goes well and that you find yourself fully inspired by the end! I am suffering from a touch of writer's block myself at present, alleviated a little by nipping out to get a new microwave and spring cleaning my desk area - maybe the dogs need walking now ... Debbie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the 'Follow' Debbie. You are now officially a follower :-)
    I'll write a post when I get back from Hatfield.

    ReplyDelete